The Art Club is holding a Winter Gala in January 2020. The Winter Gala will be a formal dinner in which community members will learn about our school and purchase art created by learners. Learners will receive 100% of the profit generated by their art.
Call for Artists!
In order to have their art selected for the gala, learners must create a portfolio which includes all the steps listed below. Each step will be a tab in the portfolio with appropriate documentation.
- Submit an Intent to Participate Form to Ms. Jeanette. When you submit this, Ms. Jeanette will follow up with you, help you plan, and hold you accountable.
- Choose a Theme! Use this form to decide on a theme and what you will be expressing through your art.
- Sketch It Out! Make three to five sketches of ideas. Next to each sketch, write a few thoughts, a few ideas for improvement, the size of your planned piece, and the medium (paint, pencil, crayon, ink, etc.) you want to create it in. Make sure to incorporate some of the Elements of Art and Principles of Design.
- Create a Prototype! Make a three-inch scale drawing of your best sketch. Please use full color in your medium in this prototype. For info on scale drawings, click here.
- Reflect! Ask someone to give you honest feedback via this form, then use these questions to reflect on how you will improve before your final product.
- Budget! Use this spreadsheet to create a budget for supplies. Consider how much of each item you will need and where it will be best to buy from.
- Purchase Supplies! You may purchase supplies with your own funds or with a loan from someone. If someone (parents, Art Club, etc.) offers you a loan, the cost will be deducted from the final purchase price of your piece so that you may pay them back. Document your loan here.
- Fundraise! Art Club will hold two fundraisers to help pay for supplies. You must participate in at least one to earn a portion of the funds. Funds raised will not have to be paid back and will be distributed evenly among participants. Sign up for fundraisers here.
- Create! Begin work on your masterpiece. Your final piece must have a minimum of five hours invested in it. Log your creative process in a series of photographs and blurbs in the form or on a Google Site.
- Price It! Create a starting bid for your piece using this form. The form takes into account things like time, supplies, and level of training.
Explain! Create a rough draft of the title and explanation of your piece. The final title and explanation will be displayed next to your piece at the gala. This is your opportunity to express yourself to the audience and display your knowledge. For complete expectations of the explanation, click here.